Roxie Barnes, MSN, RN, CCRN, CHSE
Obtained her Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator certification
Greg Carter, MSN, RN, CNS
- Carter, G., Owens, C., & Hsien-Chang, L. (2016). HIV Screening and the Affordable Care Act. American Journal of Men’s Health. doi: 10.1177/1557988316675251
- Invited speaker on an expert panel to discuss policy and sexual health, sponsored by IU.
- Member of the committee of Nurses in AIDS Care to develop PrEP Policy and implementation in rural communities.
Kim Decker, PhD, RN, CNS
- Decker, K., Hensel, D., & Fasone, L. (2016). Outcomes of a bystander intervention community health service learning project. Nurse Educator. 41(3). doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0000000000000232
- Moorman, M., Hensel, D., Decker, K. A., & Busby, K. (2016). Learning Outcomes with Visual Thinking Strategies in Nursing Education. Nurse Education Today. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2016.08.020
- Decker, K. A., Miller, W. R., & Buelow, J. M. (2016). Parental perceptions of family social supports in families with children with epilepsy. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing. (Accepted for December publication.)
- Decker, K.A. (2016). Reflections on Caring in Nursing: My Personal Journey. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. (Accepted for December publication.)
- Decker, K. A.., Hensel, D., Kuhn, T. M., & Priest, C. (2017). Innovative implementation of social determinants of health in a concept based curriculum. Nurse Educator. 42 (3).
Decker, K. & Hensel, D. (June, 2016). Developing future public health leaders: The bystander intervention project. Paper presented at the Association of Community Health Nursing Educators Annual Meeting. Indianapolis, IN.
Awards and Grants
- Trustee’s Excellence in Teaching Award (April, 2016). IU Bloomington Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs, Bloomington, IN
- Facet Spring Retreat Grant (May, 2016). Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching. Indiana University, Bloomington, IN.
Project Director of the Aldrich Project (August 2016 to present). IU Bloomington School of Nursing, Bloomington, IN.
Sharon Gates, EdD, RN, CNS
- Gates, S., Brown, J., & Nelson, T. (2016) Creating an Alcohol Withdrawal Simulation for Nursing and Social Work Students. Presentation at the National League for Nursing Conference, Orlando Florida.
- Brown, J., Gates, S., & Nelson, T. (2016) Social Work and Nursing Students Collide: Results of Collaborating in Patient Care. Oral Presentation at Council on Social Work Education Annual Conference. Atlanta, Georgia.
Sally Gindling, CHSOS
Sally became a Certified Healthcare Simulation Operation Specialist (CHSOS) through the Society for Simulation in Healthcare.
Desiree Hensel, PhD, RN, PCNS-BC, CNE
Peer-reviewed publications since January 2016:
- Hensel, D. (Provisionally accepted). Using Q methodology to assess learning outcomes following the implementation of a concept-based curriculum. Nurse Educator
- †Thur, P., Hensel, D., & Roy-Ehri, L (Provisionally accepted). Using Q methodology for quality improvement with skin-to-skin care after cesarean births. JOGGN.
- Hensel, D., † Cooper, R., & †Craney, N. (Provisionally accepted). Operating room personnel’s perceptions of certified registered nurse anesthetists: A Q methodology study. Western Journal of Nursing Research.
- Lamley, T., Curia, M. A., Voterro, B., & Hensel, D. (Accepted). Experiences of incivility among faculty and students in online nursing education: A qualitative systematic review protocol. Joanna Briggs Institute
- Hensel, D. (Accepted). Q methodology: An alternative design for undergraduate nursing research. Journal of Nursing Education.
- Decker, K., Hensel, D., Kuhn, T., & Priest, C. (2017). Innovative implementation of social determinants of health in a new concept based curriculum. Nurse Educator, 43 (3).
- Moorman, M., Hensel, D., Decker, K., & Busby, K. (2016). Learning outcomes with visual thinking strategies in nursing education. Nurse Education Today. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2016.08.020
- Hensel, D., Engs, R.C., & †Middleton, M.J. (2016). Differences in drinking patterns between female nursing and non-nursing students. Nurse Educator, 41 (1) 52-54. doi: 10.1097/NNE.0000000000000200.
- Moorman, M., & Hensel, D. (2016). Using visual thinking strategies in nursing education. Nurse Educator, 41(1) 5-6. doi: 10.1097/NNE.0000000000000185
- Decker. K., Hensel, D., & Fasone, L. (2016). Outcomes of a bystander intervention community Health Service Learning Project. Nurse Educator, 41(4). 10.1097/NNE.0000000000000232.
Billings, D. & Hensel, D. (Eds). (2016). Lippincott’s Q and A Review for NCLEX-RN 12th Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams, Wilkins
- Hensel D. Effective Test Development and Item Writing for NCLEX Questions [Webinar]: Wolters-Kluwer: 2016 (September 27).
- †Kleppe, M., & Hensel, D. What makes a senior living community homey in the United States: replication of a Scottish study [Rising Stars in Research Poster]. Sigma Theta Tau International Leadership Conference: Indianapolis, IN. 2016.
- Hensel, D. Using Q methodology to promote essential learning in undergraduate research. [Paper]. International Society for the Scientific Study of Subjectivity Q Conference: New Orleans, LA. 2016.
- Hensel, D. Thur, P., & Roy-Erhi, L. Understanding nursing care practice gaps with skin-to-skin care following caesarean births [Paper]. International Society for the Scientific Study of Subjectivity Q Conference: New Orleans, LA. 2016.
- Moorman, M. & Hensel, D. A mixed method study of visual thinking strategies [Podium]. Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Research Congress: Cape Town, South Africa, 2016.
- Hensel, D. Building undergraduate researchers with Q methodology [Podium]. Sigma Theta Tau International Research Congress: Cape Town, South Africa 2016.
- Hensel, D. Using Q methodology to evaluate curricular outcomes in a baccalaureate nursing program [Poster]. Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Research Congress: Cape Town, South Africa, 2016.
- Decker, K., & Hensel, D.Developing future public health leaders: The bystander intervention project [Poster]. Association for Community Health Nurse Educators & American Public Health Association: Indianapolis, IN, 2016.
- Hensel, D.A quantitative method to study subjectivity in undergraduate research [Podium]. Indiana University Moore Symposium: Indianapolis, IN. 2016.
- Hensel D.Assessment in nursing education [Podium]: Wolters-Kluwer at University of Calgary: Calgary, Canada, 2016.
- Hensel D.Assessment in nursing education [Podium]: Wolters-Kluwer Ryson University: Ontario, Canada, 2016.
Evaluating the Impact of the TEAS for Admission Criteria, IUPUI, PI, NA, $2300, 2016
Experienced Faculty Leadership Academy (mentor Judy Halstead), Sigma Theta Tau International, 2016–2017
Marcia Laux, MSN, RN, NE-BC
- Nov./Dec. Nurse Educator: Technology Corner, Laux and Stoten, A Statewide RN-BSN Consortium Use of the Electronic Portfolio to Demonstrate Student Competency
- NLN Podium presentation with Amy Wonder: The Impact of Observing Simulation on Student Learning
Deanna Reising, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, ANEF
Distinguished Fellowship & Distinguished Scholar and Fellow (Nursing Academy), National Academy of Practice, 2016
- Reising, D. L., Bierbaum, K., Carr, D. E., Feather, R. A., Garletts, D., Karcher, L. A., Byrd, D., & Tieman, S. Supporting the community: An IPEP partnership in South-Central Indiana. Workshop presentation for the Indiana Center for Nursing IPE/IP Conference, Indianapolis, IN, April, 2016.
- *Reising, D. L., Carr, D. E., Feather, R. A., Bierbaum, K., Garletts, D. Transforming interprofessional education to interprofessional education and practice: Lessons learned, Poster presented at the National Academies of Practice Annual Conference, Baltimore, MD, April, 2016.
- *Reising, D. L., Feather, R. A., Carr, D. E., Garletts, D., Bierbaum, K., & Ozdogan, Z. Interprofessional education that impacts patient care. Paper presentation at the NETNEP 6th International Nurse Education Conference, Brisbane, Australia, April, 2016.
- Reising, D. L., #Fickenscher, R., & #Satrom, A. (2016). Comparison of differing clinical schedules for nursing students. Nurse Educator, 42(1). doi: : 10.1097/NNE.0000000000000286
- Feather, R. A., Carr, D. E., Reising, D. L., Garletts, D. (PAP January, 2016, scheduled for July/Aug 2016). Team-based learning for nursing and medical students: Focus group results from an interprofessional education project. Nurse Educator, 41(4). doi:10.1097/NNE.0000000000000240
Amy Hagedorn Wonder, PhD, RN
- The Richard and Diane Billings Faculty Award, Indiana University School of Nursing, May 2016
- Christine A. Tanner Award, Journal of Nursing Education, November 2016
Funded Studies in Progress
- What Do Nursing Students Know About Evidence-based Practice?: A National Study of EBP Knowledge Across Academic Levels, Funded by The National League for Nursing (NLN), PI, $15,300, 10/1/2016–9/30/2017
- A Global Approach to Promoting the Evidence-based Practice Knowledge of Nursing Students: A Validation Study of Newly Translated Versions of the Evidence-based Practice Knowledge Assessment in Nursing (EKAN), Funded by Loma Linda University, Co-I, $9,995, 5/1/2016–12/31/2017
- A Multi-site Study of Evidence-based Practice Knowledge in Associate Degree Nursing Students, Funded by Alpha Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), PI, $2,100, 12/1/2015–11/30/2017
- Promoting Evidence-based Practice at the Point of Care: Using Evaluation to Guide the Knowledge Development of Registered Nurses in the Practice Setting, Funded by The Ethel Clarke Fellowship at Indiana University School of Nursing, PI, $10,000, 5/1/2015–Completed 4/30/2016
- Mentored an IUB Honors Student in a multi-site study of evidence-based practice knowledge across levels in traditional baccalaureate nursing education. Results were presented nationally (1-hour podium presentation at the Professional Nurse Educator Group [PNEG] Conference in October 2016) and internationally (Student was selected as a Rising Star, yielding a poster presentation at the Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) Leadership Connection Conference in Indianapolis in September 2016). A manuscript, submitted to the Journal of Nursing Education, is currently under review.
- Worked collaboratively with nurses at Columbus Regional Hospital to study the culture of RN work engagement. Manuscript in progress will be submitted to the Journal of Nursing Administration.
- 1-hour Podium Presentation with BSN Honors Student: Evaluating EBP Knowledge Development in Traditional Baccalaureate Nursing Students, Professional Nurse Educator Group (PNEG) Conference, Columbus, OH, October 2016
- Podium Presentation: Bridging Generations in Nursing Through Professional Development on Evidence-based Practice, Professional Nurse Educator Group (PNEG) Conference, Columbus, OH, October 2016
- Podium Presentation: The Impact of Observing Simulation on Student Learning, National League for Nursing (NLN) Education Summit, Orlando, FL, September 2016
- Podium Presentation: What Do Nurses Know About EBP? Using Valid, Reliable, Objective Instrumentation to Enable a Foundation for Developing and Testing Strategies to Support EBP Knowledge, Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) National Forum, San Antonio, TX, May 2016
- Poster: Empowering Direct Care Nurses to Promote EBP: An Example of Evidence-based Policy Development, Education, and Practice Change, Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) National Forum, San Antonio, TX, May 2016
- Symposium: A New Model to Advance Scholarship in Nursing Education. Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) and National League for Nursing (NLN), 3rd Annual Nursing Education Research Conference, Washington, DC, April 2016
- Pre-Conference: Demystifying Instrument Development: A practical Approach for Nursing Education Researchers, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) and National League for Nursing (NLN), 3rd Annual Nursing Education Research Conference, Washington, DC, April 2016
Regional Presentations (Non-Refereed)
- Using Internal Evidence to Inform Practice Change, Research Symposium at Columbus Regional Hospital, Columbus, IN, August 2016
- A First Time, Objective Assessment of the EBP Knowledge of RNs Working in Magnet®-designated Hospitals, Nursing Council at University Hospital, Indianapolis, IN, August 2016
Publications Accepted Since January 2016
- Wonder, A. H. (in press). Mock hospital ethics committee: An innovative simulation to teach Prelicensure nursing students the complexities of ethics in practice. Nurse Educator. Now available ahead of print.
- Wonder, A. H., Spurlock, D., & Ironside, P. M. (in press). Using the Evidence-based Practice Knowledge Assessment in Nursing (EKAN) Instrument to evaluate exposure effects in baccalaureate nursing students. Nursing Education Perspectives.
- Wonder, A. H., & York, J. (in press). Using an academic/practice partnership to teach and promote EBP. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing.
Manuscripts Awaiting Decisions
- Serfass, R., & Wonder, A. H. (Submitted 10/20/2016). Using evidence to inform nursing education: A study of ebp knowledge development. Journal of Nursing Education.
- Wonder, A. H., McNelis, A. M., Spurlock, D. R., Ironside, P. M., Lancaster, S., Davis, C., Gainey, M., & Verwers, N. (Revisions Submitted 9/13/2016). A comparison of nurses’ self-reported and objectively measured ebp knowledge. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing.
- Wonder, A. H., Martin, E., & Jackson, K. (Revisions Submitted 9/14/2016). Supporting and empowering direct-care nurses to promote ebp: An example of evidence-based policy development, education, and practice change. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing.
Key Aspects of Service
- Elected to the Bloomington Faculty Council for 2 years.
- Consultant to the Nursing Research Council at Columbus Regional Hospital